• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Azathioprine stories..

hello all (newbie),

Just wondered if anyone would like to share their story about Azathioprine..

Ive been on it for about a year and found it difficult to get used to as early side effects were difficult at times. about a year on and has done me the world of good, early side effects delt with ad feeling the worth.

looking for any stories connected with azathioprine from earl stages to years of use to years of remission drug free (if possible)

Many thanks
:tongue:

Astra

Hi simplesoul
and welcome

I went on Aza 5 years ago when I got my dx, and it was awful from the off, couldn't tolerate it at all, stuck with it for 3 months, then stopped cos I came out in urticaria (hives) itching, bleeding sores all over my thighs.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Hi Simple Soul - welcome to the forum!

I started azathioprine at the same time as Remicade, so I wasn't sure which drug was giving me splotchy skin on my face and neck. I have been off of Aza for 5 months now and it has cleared up.
I also had a sun sensitivity to Azathioprine.

Hi Simple Soul, and welcome. I have been on Imuran (Azathioprine) for 10+ years now. I have been in and out of remission (mostly out) for that time, and the only side effect I have ever noticed was the sun sensitivity.

LOSTnut

Poopy
I am on 50 mg Aza daily and have and had no problems to speak of or anything odd that I noticed. But, gladly enough I dont' have any other health problems that might interfere with the meds I am currently taking.

On the side I take a multi-vitamin and Calcium Citrate.

I've been on immuran (aza) for bout 3 yrs 200mg a day
never had any problems
was in remission for most of it til my current flare began back in august last year

I have been on Imuran since 1987 (23 years) !! I began taking 50 mg when I was diagnosed with Auto Immune Hepatitis. Since being diagnosed with Crohns last year, my GI has increased the dosage to 150 mg. It is looking like I will be needing something stronger though. I would imagine he will still keep me on my original dosage of 50 mg for my liver. I found it gave me a headache at the beginning. If I forgot to take it, I would also have one. I have tolerated it very well though. Just not helping the Crohns much. My GI has mentioned my next step would be Humira.

I went on Azathioprine for about 3 months starting last March, I didn't tolerate it well at all and had some unfortunate side effects and had to come off it. It didn't make me feel better at all to be honest but I don't think I was on it long enough to really be able to tell.

I'm really glad it's worked for you though - if you can find something that makes you feel better that's the main aim in my mind regardless of what it is.

Hi all.
I've been taking azathioprine for just over 6 months. I take 125mg a day (increased the dose from 100 a few weeks ago). I also take max dose of budesonide (9mg) & pentasa & mebeverine. I'm loads better that I was before the aza but fatigue continues to be a huge problem for me. I don't have formed BM's but my consultant reckons that I probably never will. At least I'm not rushing to the toilet 15 times a day & I think that's largely down to the aza. I always feel quite grotty & tired though & I sleep a lot. I seem to get more sore throats & sniffles too.

I only made it three months on Imuran, I tried to tolerate the side effects but just couldn't take it anymore... An hour after taking the pills I would projectile vomit. :) Not to mention I would get terrible headaches.

So, after discontinuiing that, I was put on 6MP because it might be tolerated differently, but the side effects I had on 6MP were very similar.