• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newbie - So great to have this group

Hi everyone,

Tony from Toronto, Canada here.

Diagnosed last year a day before a planned vacation, (likely due to the stress of working too much) needless to say, was in the hosiptal for two days and spent that week resting. Crohn's was my 30th birthday gift.

I'm so interested to read about others experiences and get some tips on what has worked for you to ease the symptoms.

For me, I've noticed that stress is the biggest factor and lack of sleep as well. Both of those will certainly cause symptoms (albiet never have pain in my abs). Fried foods and any beverages with sugar are also something to stay away from (in my case).

Tony

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi Tony and welcome to the forum. :) Stress is also my biggest factor as well so I do whatever I can to try and reduce stress such as eliminating the little things like if I'm about to get in an argument with someone, I simply say that I cannot talk about it right now. Things of that nature really help. Enjoy the forum!

Nyx

Hi Tony...welcome to the forum! I never had pain either (apart from the occasional gas bubble...lol). Stress is awful, not just for us Crohnies! I think my Crohn's was brought on by stress as well (I was in an awful relationship, had some legal issues to deal with, and was out of work).

Glad you found us, have a poke around...lots of advice and support here :)

Hi Tony! Welcome! Yes, I think that stress causes me issues too! I also have a stressful job. I have started to create a list of foods I cannot eat and then I just stay away from those foods. Tomatoes really don't like me. Hope you start to feel better and have a better 31st birthday present!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Welcome fellow Canadian! My Crohns was at it's peak a very highly stressful time in my life. I too dont eat fried foods and using stevia instead of sugar, and no milk. Just old cheese is ok for me. What kind of meds are you taking?

Lots of information here, glad you are aboard.

Astra

Hi Tony
and welcome

Glad you found us, lots of friendly peeps here to support and advise,
Yeah, stress defo a major factor, my job is very stressful too, I work with kids with Autism, and getting beat up on a daily basis flares me up!
See you around the forum
Joan xxx

Hi Tony,
Welcome to the forum. Stress has always been a big factor for me, but just can't seem to avoid it. Are you on any meds?

LOSTnut

Poopy
Hi Tony -- yep, totally agree on the stress factor. Not sure how to prevent it though. I just got laid off today, so there goes the "not stress" thing -- right out the door. No severance either cuz the company was too small.

Food -- somehow for me that changes sometimes. But, fresh tomatoes are a definite no-no, it seems it is more the skin than anything else. Milk is another one for me and then, of course, the hard to digest stuff like peas, corn and nuts, lettuce and some other fresh stuff.

Good for me are avocados and I like those! :)