• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

So i`ve been getting so tired lately

D

davyb

so i decided to post on here instead of getting all depressed. so here goes, i`m in graduate school in the south, and i have been getting so tired lately, i don`t know if i can make it through school. my undergrad took me 8 years because i was in and out of the hospital for so long. recently though, i have been getting so tired it scares me a little. the other day my fiance picked me up and i could barely keep my eyes open, and sometimes i get really dizzy and light headed and fall down or just bang into to stuff. i got diagnosed about 5 years ago and i`m 27 now, sometimes i feel like i won`t ever be able to live a normal life and i should just give up trying to finish school and live an easy life but i`ll always feel like i quit.... anyone ever get tired like me?

You may be anemic so try to get a blood test done for anemia. That can cause the drowziness. But welcome to the forum. I wish you the best of luck.

The best thing about this forum is that you can ask whatever you want.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Hello Davy.

I experience rather significant fatigue as well in the past with my Crohn's Disease. This often happens due to: active disease being fought by your body (requires a lot of energy), anemia, but a more general problem is overal malnutrition. It is very important to try and get all the calories, vitamins and minerals your body needs. Do not take your lack of hunger as a sign you do not need food. This is you body deciding that fighting the disease inside you is more important than reminding you to eat (and undertaking the energy consuming function of digestion) but you still need to consume calories and all the other good stuff. Perhaps try liquids (fresh juices, soup broths, Boost/Ensure type drinks, etc.) as they may be easier to digest, while still providing your body with what it needs.

The medication you are on (if any) can also factor into this, as well as what you are consuming (caffeine, smoking, etc.) and how you are sleeping.

You should definately try and see a doctor and dietician (or a licensed nutritionist that if possible is recommended by a doctor) to get your energy restored. Medication is not the only way to do this, so do not feel that this is the only option to not be so tired.

Welcome to the community and I hope that this has helped and that you will keep us updated.

Aloha davyb and welcome! You've found a friendly community where you can talk openly about whatever is on your mind.

Fatigue is a big problem for many of us. Malabsorption robs of us vitamins, minerals and nutrients that our bodies need for fuel. And, as Mikeyarmo mentioned (and I'm glad he did, because I was wondering if it was just me,) our appetites don't always sound the usual hunger alarms. I sometimes forget to eat until I'm suddenly overtaken by fatigue and am dizzy from low blood sugar. I try to remind myself to eat even when I've not felt hungry, but sometimes I forget anyway. I've recently started using my beverage intake to focus my thoughts on food. I'm always dry-mouthed and borderline dehydrated, so I drink a lot of water and iced tea. Going to the kitchen to refill my drink, I'm trying to make it a habit to pause and ask myself what I've eaten that day, and when. Hopefully it will soon become a habit that will help with this one phase of dealing with digestive disorders. There's so much that we can't control, but this is something we can do something about.

V

Valentina

hi and welcome!
sounds like you should get some bloods done. could need a B12 shot, or iron. I get dizzy/stpid tired sometimes as well.. not a lot of fun. esp when your in school. hope u find some answers. maybe sleep a whole day or two away :) that sometimes helps me :)

C

Cathy

My wbc has been hight when I get tired like that. You should get it checked out!

D

DeAnnRossetti

Hi Davy, I get tired, too, especially after a flare up of symptoms. I often have bleeding during a flare up, so I think that it is due to anemia that I get so tired. I was told by my doctor to eat corn flakes and other foods with more iron, and to get a cast iron skillet, because when you cook in one some of the iron is absorbed into the food. I also was told to take a low-dose iron supplement, but I found that only the expensive supplements seemed to work for me, and I can't afford those on a consistent basis, and the cheap ones make me sick, so I just try to add iron rich foods to my diet as best I can tolerate. I hope you get some blood tests and feel better soon. Hang in there!

M

Mntallyblonde

I think everyone is right you should get blood work done. I was anemic until I was in the hospital and they gave me two pints of blood. I always wanted to sleep. Even if I just woke up I would feel so out of it. Taking a shower use to be my one task of the day because it took so much out of me. You should call you doctor and get some blood work done soon.

D

davyb

hey guys, i really appreciate all the encouragement and i am going to go see a doctor about my blood, even though i don`t want to, i really don`t want to deal with possibly hearing anymore bad news but i will, thanks again!

Don't you feel that if you can get through school, or work, or anything else while you have this disease... while being exhausted all the time and in pain and spending your free time on the toilet, that if you ever were to get healthy, you could take over the world! I bet we could. Keep your head up and stay in school, it will be worth it. I was sick my whole Junior and Senior year... can't tell you how many finals I had to reschedule because I couldn't sit through them without running to the bathroom every 10 minutes. Maybe it's just the prednisone talking, but I think staying in school even through the tireds is the way to go... how did your blood tests go?

This fatigue has been more burdensome to me than the actual disease. It has been the cause of a lot of expensive and extremely inconvenient mistakes. I'm also in university and I do feel less competant than everyone else because I can't focus or remember anything for more than a few minutes. This has been a source of depression for me as well. I've had all the blood tests to find the cause without success. I am currently exploring the possibility of stress and anxiety being the cause of this extreme fatigue as my flare-ups are directly responsive to stress; in my case so much so that within hours of anxiety I'm in the toilet. Which I guess I'm trying to illustrate how powerful stress is. (How high strung am I?!) We're under ridiculous amounts of stress at university as well as with coping with a disease nevermind whatever else is going on in life. Everyone's coping level is different but I don't deal with chronic stress well and that's what university is, for me. I empathize!

Kev

Even on my best days I have next to no energy.. and there are times when its like someone flipped a switch.. When I feel like that, I don't even risk driving my car, so if I run low on something at the drugstore or grocery store, I have to do without it. Its improved a little since I started doing the following.. I take multivitamins each day on a set schedule, I eat a number of small meals on a schedule vs a few larger meals, & I have added yogurt, liquid diet supplements (Ensure, etc.) plus get as much sleep as I can, and take frequent naps.. I've made this a hard & fast regimen which I stick to, and that has provided me real results. I am slowly, gradually getting better..., but it's a long, slow progress with frequent relapses, setbacks..