• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone have a Hiatus Hernia & Methotrexate?

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey, I am wondering if anyone out there who has a Hiatus Hernia and is on Methotrexate or, if you on Methotrexate and have severe heartburn? I had it later days after my meth shot and today I had my 4th meth shot and my chest is burning like hell! I just got rid of it few days ago and I cannot believe how much this hurts. I am on Nexium and taking maalox, drinking cold water... I am thinking the Methotrexate is causing all this pain!!! Took a T3 it is that bad!

Anyone else and what do you do??

My doctor thinks I have a sliding hiatus hernia which could be the cause of my GERD. You cant take T3's as it will increase acid. Tylenol is very harsh on your stomach. I totally relate to the burning you are feeling and i feel for ya! They suggested I raise the head of my bed up to prevent gravity. I am not on Methotrexate and the burning I have is severe. Some people find cold stuff makes it worse but I am constantly drinking smoothies, cold water and ice...only thing that soothes it temporarily.

I'm so sorry you have the pain... have you been checked for GERD? VERY PAINFUL!
________
DODGE LA FEMME

Last edited:
How is your breathing? Is it heartburn or pain slightly higher across your whole chest... mtx can cause methotrexate pneumonitis - diagnosis by chest x-ray.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
ugh... the pain was dead centre 2-3 inches above the end of breast bone. I know that Prednisone cause my Hiatus hernia in the first place and still on Pred. Will taper to 15mg today. I do remember my Gi saying I had the choice of going off Pred or taper, it was my choice and I picked the taper. He wants me off Pred. No kidding really??? I hate it.

I know T3 causes more stuff but I couldnt take that kind of pain, I can tollerate alot but not that much. Meth has to work there is NOTHING else. I had Pnumonia just before the holidays and was treated for it and go figure I had the shot the year before and never had Pnumonia in my life.

Thanks for your input!! I have read that Meth and Pred is a nasty combo for heartburn. Niiice...

My mom has a hiatus hernia. She will take prevacid when its really bad, but in a pinch she finds 1/2 tsp of baking soda in a glass of water helps quite a bit.

Are you taking MTX in pill form? My friend with RA found it easier to tolerate in the injection form. She said it was too hard on her stomach for her to keep taking the pills.

I am on a mom forum and I have notice that babies and kids get pneumonia all the time even though they are vaccinated with prevnar. I chose to skip that one for my little one and she has never had a respitory infection.

Last edited:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Lydia, I am taking the shot once a week for 16 weeks, 12 more to go and tapering down to 15mg of pred. Hopefully the metho will kick soon because it is the only drug left for me to calm down my ulcers. I took Maalox with gas reducer, took it to my night table but it calmed down. I am not sure if it is the pred or metho or both. So far today no chest pain.

I take Nexium everyday but I was fine until a couple of weeks ago. Nexium cancels out good stuff and I try to stay away from pain killers or my antispamotics. I have baking soda, actually I dont mind alka seltzers but havent taken one of those in many years. Thanks for the tip. I am doing massage exercises now to it helps.