• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Keeping Immunosuppressant along with Humira?

Lady Organic

Staff member
Hey guys!

im currently on humira and im doing super well. My GI would like that I stop 6-MP in the near future. his main concern is the fact that I had issues with pre-cancerous cervical lesions a few years back which required laser intervention. He doesnt like it at all and would prefer I stop 6-mp.

As for me, I'd like to keep a bit of 6-mp because I feel this can give me more protections from humira undesirable frequent side effect such as skin lesions. I have a dry skin prone to skin disease (eczema and dermatitis of the scalp or some small spots on the face).

In your opinion, is a immuno-suppressant in combo with Humira interesting in preventing loss of response to Humira or in prevention of allergic reaction or side effect such as psoriatic eruptions?

thanks!

I am not on humira, but I am on Remicade and was on 6mp. My doctor decided to do this combo for about 6 months and then we stopped the 6mp. I didn't notice any changes and everything has been great since. I have heard that an immunosuppressant along with a biologic can enhance your response and prevent antibodies. I am not so sure about allergic reactions or side effects.