• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need immediate advice on methotrexate

i got diagonised with crohns in 2010 when i was on 17 put on azoran. i only had few flares during the first 6 yrs .Suddenly my cbc count goes decreasing. Dr stopped the azoran and waited for count to increase meanwhile he put me on Pentasa..when the cbc counts went normal ..again azoran started with smaller doses.25mg alternative days.As my counts were normal. I was put on 50mg daily.at this time count again goes on decreasing the Dr stopped azoran .He says azoran side effect is count decreasing..my count is wbc (2.14) He is going to put me on Methotexate ..i am unaware about this drug.
1- is it working?
2- how long it takes to work?
3-doses?
4-side effects?
Pls help me..

Last edited:
There are people able to achieve remission with methotrexate. Methotrexate comes in oral pill form or injection.

It can take methotrexate 6 or so weeks to reach full therapeutic levels so a bit faster than a azoran which can take up to 3 months.

Doses range up to 25mg (pill) or the equivalent for injection. The dose (pills or shot) is taken once weekly

Some experience nausea, fatigue, headaches (similar profile to azoran). Side effects seem to be a bit more prevalent with the pill as it goes through digestion. The side effects can lessen as your body adjusts to the med. Since methotrexate is an anti folate you need to take folic acid daily. Some use over the counter folic acid other get a rx from their GI (the rx dose of folic acid ranges from 1mg to 2mg per day)

There are people able to achieve remission with methotrexate. Methotrexate comes in oral pill form or injection.

It can take methotrexate 6 or so weeks to reach full therapeutic levels so a bit faster than a azoran which can take up to 3 months.

Doses range up to 25mg (pill) or the equivalent for injection. The dose (pills or shot) is taken once weekly

Some experience nausea, fatigue, headaches (similar profile to azoran). Side effects seem to be a bit more prevalent with the pill as it goes through digestion. The side effects can lessen as your body adjusts to the med. Since methotrexate is an anti folate you need to take folic acid daily. Some use over the counter folic acid other get a rx from their GI (the rx dose of folic acid ranges from 1mg to 2mg per day)
Since my wbc counts are low they injected FILGRASTIM inj. of 300mcg. methotrexate not yet started.any idea why my wbc count not increasing

I don't have any experience with azathioprine(azoran) or low wbc.

You may want to post the question about low wbc and azoran in the treatment forum under azatiopurine.