• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Scope Results

I had a colonoscopy yesterday and was wondering if someone can help me understand the findings. This is what it says "a benign-appearing, intrinsic moderate stenosis was found at the ileocecal valve and was non-tranversed, with associated pseudopolyp, precluding intubation of ileum."
The doctor said something about a stricture - is that the same as stenosis?

Thanks everyone.

Yes, stricture is the same as stenosis. So basically you had a stricture that prevented the doctor from getting the scope into the small intestine where it joins up to the colon, and there was sort of a fake polyp there also.

Thanks for the reply. Just wondering what exactly is a "fake" polyp. Also, if my CD is generally located in small intestine not colon, how is that area checked if scope can't go there?

My last colonoscopy showed what my GI called pseudopolyps. Not sure if that's the same, but sounds like it. The Dr said mine were due to inflammation and scarring pushing tissue out. A polyp is different in that it is the result of precancerous tissue growth.

Sounds like you had inflammation right by the ileocecal valve that has healed up a bit causing a fake polyp.

fuzzy butterfly

Hi seebee, mine was in the small intestine and diagnosed by a CT scan, or possibly an MRI scan. Good luck and best wishes..

They couldn't get the scope into the terminal ileum when I had my colonoscopy last year, due to my loopy bowel, so couldn't get any biopsies to test.
I have recently...last week...had a barium swallow follow through, which I understand will help show up any problems in that area.
Due to patchy inflammation throughout my large bowel, and the biopsies they did get, and my very, very low vitB12 levels, it has been concluded I have crohns.
It seems to be very different for everyone, how a diagnosis is finally made 😏
Bunty x

Same here. They couldn't see into the terminal ileum and it took a CT scan to see the stricture beyond. I also had a 'tiny hyperplastic polyp'whatever that means.

Was it what you were expecting, results wise?
I just did a bit of 'research' on hyper plastic colon polyps, seems there's nothing to worry about 😉
Bunty x

Thank you everyone for your replies. I was happy that there was no active inflammation seen in the colon as that's an improvement from the one I had upon diagnosis 3 years ago. At that point, I also had a CT scan. I think I'll ask my doctor when I go for a follow-up how he intends to proceed in regards to the small intestine.
Once again, I really appreciate all the response.

fuzzy butterfly

Hi seebee, its good they are checking you out every where hun, i hope all goes well for you,, and you soon feel much better hun :ghug:, please keep us updated as to how your getting on xx