• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What is your Maintenance dose?

I researched online and it said that maintenance dose for lialda is 2 tablets per day. What is the maintenance dose for Mesalamine 4mg rectal? I have both medicine and currently taking 2 lialda tablets per day as maintenance dose. I am wondering if i can temporarily switch to Mesalamine 4mg rectal as maintenance after i use up my lialda. I don't want to waste the rectal 4mg because they are expensive.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I switched to Mesalamine tablets from Pentasa tablets and the dose ended up being half the amount I originally took (and have done well with it). Not sure the difference between the Mesalamine Rectal and the Canasa. But, am looking to switch to the generic too once I finish up the brand name.